Wrigley Field

Wrigley Field
Wrigley Field - Home of the Chicago Cubs

Saturday, June 2, 2012

K.C.I.R. - R.I.P.


The top video was my second run. It was early in the night, the track wasn't tacky yet, and my rear tire was still at 25 psi. I completely broke loose off the line, but it sounds cool!

The second video was my last run. 12.4 at 107 mph. Track was super tacky and 18 psi in the rear. I know what to expect now and I know what I will do differently next time. A big thanks to my uncle Craig for recording these with his cell phone! Gotta love technology.

I've been wanting to take my custom out to KCIR ever since I finished it, but hadn't gotten around to it. All of the talk around town in the Summer of 2011 was about how "the man" was going to shut the track down. My bike is well broken in now and I had to act in case "the man" prevailed. I made it out there in the fall of 2011. I had never run a vehicle of any kind down an official drag strip, but figured I would give it hell and hope for the best. I told everyone that I would be happy if the bike ran in the 13's and would be really stoked with a 12. My first pass, out of 6, clocked in at a 12.2 at 108 mph. After that, I thought for sure I would hit an 11 before the end of the night. After experimenting with tire pressure, launch rpm, different lanes, 4th and 5th gear, not knowing how the track reacts later in the night, and just flat out rider error, I was unable to top my first run, aww daaang! Overall, the bike ran great, nothing broke, and I didn't die. I'm sooo stoked that I got to run down the same track as guys like Big Daddy Don Garlits, John Force and Evil Kenevil. Built in 1967, KCIR was officially shut down in November 2011.    

1 comment: